The first Italy Tour (“Giro d’Italia”) on May 13, 1909 had 127 cyclists who rode 2448 Km from Rondò of Loreto to Milan in 8 stages. The jackpot consisted of 25 mila lire or ~ 20 dollars, and the 1st winner, Luigi Ganna won 5,325 lire or ~$4. He also won the tours in 1910 and 1911. How times have changed.
We can design and support trips in any area in which the Giro passes within Italy that you wish to witness this year's Giro d'Italia; and for any duration. Call us to discuss the options for a private tour at the price that suits your budget. Groups of at least 6 riders are enough to have a fully supplorted tour at a reasonable rate.
The trip shown below was a trip we ran and designed for the avid cyclist in which we witnessed 3 stages of the Giro and enjoyed 6 days of cycling bliss over a distance of 416km/258 miles & 13,192m/43,280' of total ascent (a daily average of 40+miles & 7,000'+ ascent). Below was the daily itinerary; our 2018 trip will posted soon.
May 21 : Meet & Greet
We meet you at 9am at the Venice airport and transfer you into the heart of the Dolomites. There is plenty of time to set up your bike and get in a warm up loop of 4 moderate passes covering a distance of 55 km (38 mi) and a total ascent of 1800 meters (5900'). You'll enjoy 3 nights in the heart of the Dolomites as your base.
May 22 & 23: Passo Duran and Forcella Staulanza & Stage 17 of the Giro
Day two's loop takes on the challenging passes of the Sella group, Passo Valparola, Campolungo & Falzarego, which are included in the 2nd part of this year's 17th tour stage. Your total ride is 128 km w/ 3257 meters of ascent (79 miles/11,800').
The next day the pros arrive and we position ourselves to watch them summit Passo Giau. Your ride covers 43km & 1514 meters of ascent (27 miles & 4967')
May 24 & 25: Passo Fedaia & Lavazè and Stage 19 of the Giro
With the race temporarily leaving the Dolomites, we have one more day to explore more of these legendary passes en route to the castle-laden region of Bolzano. Your ride distance is 112km (69 miles) with a total ascent of 2237m (7,339').
The next day we ride 42km/26 miles with an ascent of 2146m/7040' in order to situate ourselves at the top of Passo Pampeago to watch the Stage 19 finish.
May 26 & 27: Giro's Stage 20 - Race to the finish
A short transfer takes us to the base of the Passo dello Stelvio. You will have plenty of company riding up the 48 switchbacks over a distance of 36km/22mi & 1865m/6118' of ascent before the pros arrive. This is the Giro's final stage before the following day's finishing day in Milano.
Enjoy 3 nights in Bolzano.
This year we will offer two options for tour price; a 4-star hotel option and a 3 star hotel option. Space will be limited to 10 people per option. We also offer private groups of 10 or more at a rate of $1,650/person and you pay your hotels and meals as you go...this is a fully supported trip and hotel rates are offered at our discounted price...bike rental is also available at an extra fee & the cost of the supplier. WE do not mark up the rental fee.
- Witness 2 mt. stages of the Giro d'Italia
- 2 options: 3-star or upper 4-star accommodation with breakfast
- On-site bicycle mechanic, lead rider and van support
- All dinners except 2 free nights out (1 in each town we stay)
- Two ride options each day to suit your preference
- 1st rate Sag support during all your rides
- Extensive knowledge of region (we've been conducting tours in this region for 12 years)
- Fully equipped Support vehicle & luggage transfer during whole trip
- Transfer by van from place to place (including train station / airport shuttle on 1st & last tour days)
- Multilingual Guide(s) throughout trip
- Sag supplies: snacks, beverages and water and service of during rides
- Water bottles, Route notes, maps & chalk marked routes
- Storage of bike boxes
- Service to help with all travel before or after your tour.
Not included: Airfare, beverages, trip insurance (strongly recommended), personal items, guide tips.